Mayor Fandakova officially opened a new metro extension in Sofia

An almost four kilometres western extension of Sofia metro Line 3 from Krasno Selo and Gorna Banya was officially opened.

The opening ceremony was attended by mayor of Sofia Yordanka Fandakova, Minister of Transport Rosen Zhelyazkov and European Commission’s representative in Bulgaria Tsvetan Kyulanov.

The second phase of Line 3 has been 66% co-financed by the EU, with a grant of €68,500,000 from the Operational Programme Transport & Transport Infrastructure 2014-20. The remaining 34% was financed locally.

The extension adds a further four stations, including an interchange to the national rail network at Gorna Banya. Construction began in July 2017 and was completed by the end of 2020; following commissioning and testing, trial running began in March.

Thanks to this opening, now the total length of Sofia’s four-lines metro network is 52 kilometres and has 47 stations.

New investments are already planned which are expected to be financed from the EU’s 2021-27 budget. Photo credit Railway Gazzette