Barcelona: 1,430,000 euros to be invested in the expansion of Mercat de Sant Antoni
Mercat de Sant Antoni continues to expand its connections to the neighbourhood and local residents following the approval of a master plan to start building work on a new community space, an initiative with a budget of 1,430,000 euros that will commence this coming autumn and which is expected to last for five months.
The plan’s design is the result of a participatory process begun in 2016 and which brought together Sant Antoni’s associations, retailers and local residents to think up a space that would meet everyone’s needs. Specifications will be made in September on how the venue is to be managed.
The market’s underground will house a series of facilities intended to stimulate Eixample’s local residents’ and associations’ activities, and will include as follows:
- A reception area and a multipurpose space for holding small events, on the main level, in continuity with the moat space
- A community culinary classroom with cooking, confection, refrigeration and storage areas
- A multipurpose space for young people
- A sound-proof and high acoustic-quality music-rehearsal room
- Additional spaces for associations and a meeting room
Source and photo: barcelona.cat