Mayor Raggi proposes free entry for Rome residents to museums
Rome mayor Virginia Raggi has proposed free entry to Rome museums for residents of the city, a proposal which would require the approval of Italy’s culture ministry.
“The request I would make to Minister Dario Franceschini would be to remove the entrance ticket for museums, exhibitions and archaeological parks,” mayor Raggi said.
“The possibility of visiting museums should be unlimited, at least for Romans” – said Raggi. “This is not to trivialise the content of the museums but rather to attract visitors.”
Virginia Raggi, who is currently seeking a second term in office, cited as an example the reopening of the Mausoleum of Augustus on 1 March. The complex will be free to all visitors until 21 April after which it will be free for all Rome residents until the end of this year.
The mayor also underlined that she was “very attached” to the establishment of the capital’s successful MIC museum pass.
The card, which allows entry to all municipal museums for €5 a year, was spearheaded by Luca Bergamo, the city’s former culture councillor and deputy mayor.
Over the last year museums in Rome have been closed for two extended periods, due to the coronavirus pandemic, recently reopening to the public from Monday to Friday only.
Source and photo: Wantedinrome